New Features

Coordinator
Feb 26, 2012 at 4:14 AM

Tell me about some new features you would like to see.

Jan 23, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Hello,

This has potential, but there are issues:

- On Windows 8 it does not run, error "requieres elevation". Manifest not correct?

- Executing (right click "run as admin") first run does not execute the app but creates the blank ini file

- Second attempt runs the app, but it says there is an update. There is no update however.

- Trying to set the update prompt to "background" creates another box with several errors. Closing it to get rid of that.

- Main window, there is no option to edit the json master prefs file. This is important because I want to set start page and install location.

- No support for system level install. My Chromium is installed at system level, the app does not detect it and shows version "0".

- Suggestion, you should check for system level installs and set update mode accordingly.

- Suggestion, support for installing Chromium when it is not yet installed

- Suggestion, support for installing Chromium from local source when no internet connection is available.

Thanks and cheers.

Coordinator
Mar 30, 2013 at 6:00 AM
Edited Mar 30, 2013 at 6:20 AM
One of the issues was this page does not have the latest update posted, which it should. My error.

I have received your suggestions once you posted this but have been busy. I wanted to let you know I have begun to fix these errors and improve CU for a period of time. Thank you for your patience and helping me making the program better.

Also what do you mean by system level install?
Apr 5, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Thanks for your answer.

System level install means that Chromium is installed in "C:\Program Files\Chromium"
instead of
"%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Chromium" (User level)
The app should first check where it is installed and then use the same level, user or system.
It would be awesome if CU can install Chromium when it is not currently installed, as part of a Windows post install batch.

Thanks for your work.
Coordinator
Apr 6, 2013 at 2:12 AM
Edited Apr 6, 2013 at 6:16 AM
To clarify your requests before I do final testing of 1.6:
  • On Windows 8 it does not run, error "requieres elevation". Manifest not correct? - Not sure will need to look into W8 manifest changes more
  • Executing (right click "run as admin") first run does not execute the app but creates the blank ini file - Will look into
  • Second attempt runs the app, but it says there is an update. There is no update however. - 1.5 had error in updater
  • Trying to set the update prompt to "background" creates another box with several errors. Closing it to get rid of that. - Background is a part of the old updater form and was removed for several reasons
  • Main window, there is no option to edit the json master prefs file. This is important because I want to set start page and install location. - What is this json master prefs file? Is this the Preferences file in the Chromium/User Data folder?
  • No support for system level install. My Chromium is installed at system level, the app does not detect it and shows version "0". - I have added installer arguments in the latest version, I have found some arguments on this site (https://sites.google.com/site/chrelad/notes-1/installautomatedbuildofchromeframe) and will test them before releasing 1.6
  • Suggestion, you should check for system level installs and set update mode accordingly. - Will test above method and add some detection method
  • Suggestion, support for installing Chromium when it is not yet installed - It doesn't install when no Chromium is present? If not I will correct this and will also make first time install more apparent in Main form
  • Suggestion, support for installing Chromium from local source when no internet connection is available. - I will add manual install method
As for changes I have already made in 1.6:
  • Windows Vista and up now show flashing taskbar progress while installing
  • Hovering over URLs in Settings will now show tooltip with full URL
  • Monitors InstallerResult in registry to properly report installation result
  • Added LKGR (Last Known Good Revision) option
  • Added setting to prompt to open Chromium after install
  • Added setting for installer arguments
  • Settings now have a tooltip with more information about what they do
  • Greatly improved valid URL settings checks
  • Start Hidden will now actually start hidden
  • Update Check Interval is back to minutes
  • Minor GUI changes
  • Removed checking for installed revision when none is present (need to find a way to convert current installed version to revision)
  • Removed "when Idle" settings from Auto Download and Install (will add when feature is actually present)
Thanks again for taking time to help improve Chromium Updater! Also I uploaded the 1.5.1.0 release to CodePlex, 1.5 had an issue in the new updater that made it unable to update. This is the page I keep up-to-date more often - http://www.logicpwn.com/chromium-updater/
Apr 10, 2013 at 4:13 PM
Thanks for your work, it is very much apreciated!
As for the latest version, still have to test it but will do so and report back.
About the commandline arguments, it may be possible that those switches don't work anymore.
I found the json master preferences file working however. This file is used to install Chromium and has to be placed close to the chromium executable.
Here an example:

{
"homepage" : "http://www.google.com.co",
"homepage_is_newtabpage" : true,
"distribution": {
 "system_level": true,
 "skip_first_run_ui": true,
 "create_all_shortcuts": true,
 "import_history": false,
 "import_bookmarks": false,
 "import_home_page": false,
 "import_search_engine": false,
 "do_not_launch_chrome": true,
 "oem_bubble": false
},
"first_run_tabs": [
 "http://www.google.com.co"
]
}

This preferences file has to be json compliant, there are so called "validators" on the web to check it.
You may want to take a look at my Chromium installer/updater autoit script, it works but there are some issues with installing from ROE.
But it may give you some ideas as for version and revision checking.

Cheers.
Apr 10, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Sorry about the formatting, above example had to be shown as plain text

Cheers.
Coordinator
Apr 11, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Edited Apr 12, 2013 at 3:27 AM
Where is your project located? I would love to see your project to see other ways to improve my project. Also to see more about the json master preferences file, I am still a little confused if it needs to be located with the mini_installer.exe or in the install dir. It's awesome that you told me about this because this could greatly improve the quality of install for users.

Edit: Just checked the switches are working. I also found a good link about the JSON master preferences and will add a button in the Settings form to open it. Maybe in the future I will add a tab in the Settings form to allow users to edit the details and have my program do the editing of the file. I already have JSON support for my auto updater but I haven't done any editing before but shouldn't be to hard.
Apr 12, 2013 at 4:02 PM
Hi LogicPawn,

I have released my script over at RyansVM, here is te link:

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9799

You may have to register.
I've compiled the autoit script as executable, but would like to send you the source code also.
If you find it usefull, please send me a private message with an email address so I can mail you the scipt.

About the json master prefs:
I´m using a commandline switch to call the master prefs at install time. After the install is complete, the script copies over the master prefs to the install dir so it sits close to the Chromium executable.
As you may have noticed, there is little information about switchess and install methods, so I find it usefull to share what I have gathered so far.

Cheers.